Twitter Header

Twitter Header

Saturday, October 24, 2015

The Reading Log Battle - Who Won? The Students or Me?? or Anyone???

Hello sarcastic friends,

I know. It's been too long. Don't worry, I have been as sarcastic as ever, I just haven't found the right moment to put my thoughts onto this blog. But I have been thinking of you - honest!


Not only am I sarcastic, I have a very busy brain and I find it difficult to choose which ring of the circus to share with you. I decided to go back to "Ye Ole Reading Log" and then I'll do another post about other things, k??

Here is a summary of my reading log journey:
  • At the Reading and Writing Project this summer at Teacher's College, I realized that READING STAMINA is one of the biggest concerns I have with my students' literacy skills and behaviours.
  • Reading logs are the way to TRACK READING VOLUME and INCREASE READER STAMINA.
  • Reading logs are the way KIDS LIE TIRELESSLY ABOUT HOW MUCH THEY ARE READING.
  • Reading logs are the way I have tried in the past to measure reading volume and FAILED MISERABLY
  • Reading logs are needed but I secretly WANT TO HARM THEM. (If it is possible to harm a notebook...anyway...)
So I followed all of the advice that my friends at TCRWP gave me - keep it simple, remember what the purpose of the log is, encourage honesty,... and lo and behold I got meself some great reading logs. (Affectionately know as RL in my classes). Below is a copy of the anchor chart we made to remind us of the structure and purpose of the RL.

In the first 3 weeks, they were submitted once a week to see how they were progressing. Guess what? The same kids that never had a book to read, never had their f'n RL? Shocked?? Probably not.



After constant feedback, all 55 of them had jumped on the RL Train and Sarcastic Teacher was drivin' and wearing a stylish train hat. (Okay, not really, but I might need one.)
I think I have found the trick. I have them fill out a google form every time they hand in their RL so I have their info all in one place and I just skim the actual log for info (Google Forms puts all of their answers into a spreadsheet. Google Forms are my 2nd best friend in case you didn't know. After BFF, of course.) Below is a link to my September Monthly Checkin Form.

September Monthly Checkin Form

So now they had to lie to me twice and it got quite monotonous, so they decided to be truthful. Here is my take-away from this reading log adventure:
  • Some are hardly reading. 
  • Some are reading 1 hour a day or more. 
  • Some are reading, but not recording it so they sit down with me and record as much as they can remember. 
  • And some ask to go to the bathroom every time I conference with them. 

Overall, I think WE BOTH WON THE BATTLE! My kids are reading every day and only lying/fake reading a little. Will it continue? Time will tell.

We are having intelligent conversations about books and I have formed the "The Holy Shit I Read A Book Club (HSIRAB Club). These are the kids that confessed this is the first book they have ever read. I say "Welcome to the club, my friend!" but don't tell them what club they are really joining. I can't spill all my secrets?

I will report back throughout the year about our reading logs as I am curious how this little adventure will play out. Thanks to everyone that has encouraged me to take on that beast affectionately know as THE READING LOG. Coming soon to a theatre near you. Starring...The Sarcastic Teacher and her Sarcastic Students :)

Til next time, keep rockin' and teachin',
Tracey

No comments:

Post a Comment