Twitter Header

Twitter Header

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

How Am I Supposed to Know What $%*#n Reading Level My Kids Are At?-Part One-In-Book Assessments and School-Wide Screens

Hello my darlings,

*Have you ever asked a student, "Is that book at the right level for you?" and they say, "Yep"?
*Have you ever looked at a kid's work and said "Boy, that kid sure doesn't seem to understand what he's reading. I wonder what he was smokin'?"


Okay, test over. You're normal. It happens all the time in middle school. Either they don't enjoy reading so they pick the same book to read (excuse me "read") for the next 3 years (Do you know any kids that have been reading the Hunger Games for grades 6, 7 and 8? Honestly, it doesn't take that long to read!) OR they continuously read books below or above what they should be reading and aren't progressing as a reader.


I NEED to know what level kids are reading at just like I NEED to have a cup of coffee within 30 minutes of waking from my beauty sleep. I just don't have enough time to mess around, folks.
  • Our kids need to read stuff that they like and can't wait to read.
  • Our kids need to read text at their level both independently and instructionally.
  • Our kids need to read text easier than their level once in awhile just to skim it, make meaning and say, "Damn, I'm fine!"
  • Our kids need to read text harder than their level once in awhile to feel what "huh?" feels like, and use strategies to make sense of it.
  • Our kids need to read text at their level regularly inside and outside of school to build stamina for the increased demands on them in the future.
  • Our kids need to read text at, below and above their level because "galldarnit", reading is the bomb.com!
In middle school, whether we are teaching specifically ELA or in a content area, we realistically don't get to see our kids more than an hour or so a day. With those constraints, how do we know what level our kids are reading at so we can support them/prepare lessons that will be effective?

Well, since you asked...I made a little video. I am trying to get better at making instructional videos, so be patient with me, k? Before you watch the video ask yourself:

1. Why do I need to know what level my kids are reading at?
2. Do my kids know what level they are reading at so they can make suitable educational choices?
3. Do my students' parents know what level their child is reading at so they can support them appropriately?
4. Will Jon Hamm ever profess his undying love for Sarcastic Teacher even though Hot Husband already has stolen her heart?? (Okay, you don't have to ask this one if you don't want to...)


In the video below, I talked about 2 different things.

1. First - 2 tools (In-Book Assessments) that I use to see if their "choice text" is at their reading level. "Choice Text" is a term I use for a book to read that is always with them during workshop time, either recently read or read numerous times, to track their thinking.

NOTE: In case you didn't know, I like to make shit up sometimes. Like words and terms and stuff. Doesn't "Choice Text" sound like a term that Lucy Calkins would use? Maybe if we all use it, she'll start using it, too? Come on, Lucy. Everybody's doin' it.

Okay, I'm obviously a little delusional here, but this term has been helpful. The kids know what I want them to have handy, okay?? They usually have a choice text and another text with them if they have already read their choice text.

I also use the old stand-bys pictured below that many of us use, and 90% of the time work just fine.


 
2. Second-An introduction to our school-wide screening tool. Some people don't like them, but when I see my kids for only 50 minutes a day, I need to have some data on hand to see who I need to keep an eye on. Days turn into weeks and I need to stop them from falling behind before we even get going! I also use this data to help our grade teams determine RTI groups.

Ready...set...watch...


Do you think any of these would work with your students and help you teach your kids better? If so, let me know in the comments what you are going to try! If not, better luck next time. Sometimes people just don't pick up what I'm puttin' down. I hope you get back the last 15 minutes of your life you just spent reading this post and watching the video.

Coming up in Part Two of the "What Reading Level?" series, I will show what tools I use to screen all of my classes for their vocabulary and reading comprehension %ile levels in order to:

1. Verify any results from the school-wide screen.
2. Help them set appropriate reading goals.
3. Help me develop appropriate instructional resources.

Here is the link to the document that I referenced to in the video about determining reading levels:

Reading Level Assessments List

Please leave any questions or feedback in the comments or feel free to contact me on twitter (@sarcasticteachmusing) or email at sarcasticteachermusings at gmail.com. I will gladly get back to you! Find me on Periscope and Blab, too!!

Until next time,

T.

Image Sources:

Reading Level – Part 1:











No comments:

Post a Comment